Brewed using the finest of ingredients and centuries of experience, meet the ale that has taken centuries of turbulent times on the chin and survived against all odds. Immerse yourself in the amazing heritage of the Smithwick’s family and enjoy a multi-sensory and interactive experience of what life was like at the St Frances Abbey Brewery over the past 300 years. Dive in head first and experience first-hand how to stir the mash and sniff the hops, learning what distinguishes this storied ale from lager and stout.
Parliament Street, Kilkenny.
The Smithwick’s experience is an old Victorian brewing building in the heart of Kilkenny city and is just a five-minute walk from Kilkenny Castle and ideally placed in the middle of Kilkenny’s Medieval Mile.
All visitors are fully guided by a local and knowledgeable host who will accompany visitors through the experience, which covers four fascinating chapters.
The Abbey of St Francis
Walk the echoing halls in the Abbey of St Francis, where clever monks found a way of purifying the deadly water that coursed through their land.
18th Century Living Room
Step back in time as five generations of Smithwick’s illuminate their story of unwavering endurance and unbeatable ingenuity through photo’s, portraits, letters and lively conversations.
Get to grips with the unique character and flavours behind the famous ale, experience first-hand how to stir the mash and smell the hops.
Discover the Taste
Finally, we couldn’t let you leave without tasting our vibrant ruby red ale. When you decide your pint has just the right appearance, aroma, taste and mouthfeel, simply sit back, relax and enjoy our warm fire and cosy atmosphere.
Why visit Smithwick’s Experience
- Named one of Lonely Planet’s top 26 new tourist attractions in the world in 2015
- To meet our holographic monks and talking paintings.
- Over 18’s get a complimentary pint or mineral of their choice in our private tasting bar at the end of the tour.
- Daily Tours – offering group or individual bookings.
- Online Discounts.
- Inside the perimeters of the Medieval Mile.
- 300 years of history, hard work and dedication.
- Gift Shop – including personalized glassware and exclusive Smithwicks Merchandise
- Audio guides available in French, German, Spanish and Italian
- Fully Family Friendly with mineral options included at the end for under 18’s and non-drinkers
- Opens 7 days a week ( Monday – Friday)
- March – October (10am – 5pm)
- November – December (11am – 4pm)
- Adult – €13
- Seniors – €11
- Students (over 18) – €11
- Students (under 18) – €7
- Family – €33
- Child under 6 – FREE
- Groups +15 – €11.50
- 10% discount off online bookings.
See Smithwick’s experience website for details – smithwicksexperience.com